Sunday, June 10, 2018

Mi C2C Race Report Part 3


Stage 1: Au Grey to Gladwin (55.8 miles)
I hope I’m not the last one here


                 Official start time for the race was 6:12am, otherwise known as sunrise.  The rain and clouds threatened to hide the sun from us, but a clear band at the horizon gave us an actual striking, colorful sunrise over Lake Huron.
                The waiting was cold with the wind coming in right off the lake, but once we got rolling it was mostly comfortable. It was a big group start, and we rolled out together for the first mile or so before the actual racing started and everyone began to string out.
                I have a mantra for every race or ride I participate in—“Run your own race.” In other words, don’t let someone else set my pace and burn out early. There’s a lot of race, and I couldn’t afford to waste any energy.
                My game plan for the ride, developed and tested on my training rides, was to keep my average heart rate between 140-145 (about my lactate threshold level) and stop around every twenty-five miles for an extended rest break to eat and refill my water bottle. I kept to that plan, and people were slowly passing me. That was okay with me, I figured I was one of the slower riders, but I had no perspective on how many riders were ahead or behind me.
                Breakfast that morning had been two pieces of delicious cold pizza, but a little earlier than I expected on the ride I got hungry. I broke out one of my Clif “Nut Butter Filled” bars, and kept going. I would eat my second one an hour or so later, but that was okay. I had plenty. My plan for eating during the ride was simple—I had three different snacks for munching anytime I wanted (Goldfish crackers, Swedish Fish candies, and beef jerky) and Clif bars for something more substantial. I had one water bottle on my frame (which started the race filled with home-made cold brew coffee), and a hydration bladder I could use to refill it when I finished the bottle. I’ve long been a fan of Hammer Electrolyte Fizz tablets, and I brought a pack of them to add to my water whenever I filled the bottle. At the three checkpoint stops, I planned to eat more pizza (high in calories, salt, fats, and sugars) and drink an ice-cold Gatorade from the cooler. I also had cans of Coke if I wanted them, and snacks & Clif bars to refill my supply before each stage.
                My plan worked just fine for the first 40 or so miles. I rode along comfortably around the pace I was expecting and felt good. Rain the night before had left the roads damp, but not too muddy or troublesome. There was a gentle North-Northeast wind that was pushing a little from behind as we travelled generally East, but mostly staying out of our way.
                Then the route turned North and the slope began to point gradually upwards. Suddenly, the wind, though not too strong, provided resistance. The damp dirt roads provided more—which I hadn’t noticed with the wind at my back. My heartrate went up, but it was manageable. My pace went down, but it wasn’t debilitating.
                I hadn’t seen anyone for a while, either in front of me or behind me, and the thought began to cross my mind, “What if I’m last? I don’t think so, but what if I am?” This is where the bad thoughts, the negative story began, and I didn’t recognize it. I just wanted to be done with the stage, gather myself, and get back on track with the second stage.
                One of the mistakes I made with this race was failing to study the course well enough. I knew the first checkpoint was at roughly 50 miles, but I didn’t know exactly where it was (55.8). I spent the last 6 miles of the stage hoping the checkpoint was just around the corner and being disappointed to discover that it wasn’t.
                Until, thank God, it was. I pulled in to the checkpoint and the volunteers checked me in without stopping. I rolled past the checkpoint and into the parking lot where Sarah was waiting for me, chair set up and everything ready to resupply.
                I’d wanted to finish each 50 mile segment in 4 hours. I was at mile 55.8, and it was 4:14:31. I was on schedule, but in the back of my mind was a single thought, “What if I’m last?” I kept looking towards the check-in station to see if anyone else was arriving.
                No one did.

Checkpoint 1 Split/Total Time: 4:14:31

Read Part 4 Here

No comments: