Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Terrible Tuesday Review Blitz Frenzy!

Let's buzz through and catch up on some stuff, eh? We'll keep it brief, 'cuz you don't read the longwinded stuff anyway. Want to know more? Comment for me, and I'll elaborate! or is it elabo-nate! Yeah, no. It's not.

an album review
Inland by Jars of Clay



The short: excellent. Get it. The third best Jars of Clay album (following the eponymous debut and Who We Are Instead), which means it's still better than the best album by most bands.

The slightly longer: Jars of Clay, in my opinion, has released three excellent albums and two good albums (The Long Fall Back Home and The Eleventh Hour), and I haven't even paid attention to Good Monsters. The only dud is If I Left the Zoo, which is, honestly, an awful awful terrible horrible very bad no good album. I'll forgive one mistake. How many other bands do i think put out five good albums? Not many. Starflyer 59, U2, Weezer, the White Stripes. Silversun Pickups are on that path, but they've only got 3 out. What does that mean, though? I'm impressed.

They evolve with each album, and they continue their recent trend of channeling the best of 80's pop music without cheesing out too much. Best tracks: Inland and Stay Awake, with lots of other good tunes.

a movie review
Every Movie with Jason Statham



Really, they're all the same movie. You always know exactly what you're going to get. And what you get is awesome.

That being said, i think Mel Gibson was better as the character Parker than Jason Statham. Payback is a highly under-rated movie.

a movie review
Blue Like Jazz



Love the book, love the author, was worried the movie would be bad because if you've read the book you know it's not easily movie-able.

Surprisingly, it's a good movie! Great, no, but good. Enjoyable. True to the spirit of the book without being heavy-handed. Could inspire some good discussions. Although the actor playing Don was trying to hard to be Toby Maguire.

A restaurant review
Sauced in Livermore, CA

All I knew was that it featured BBQ and whiskey. I like both of those things. I've been itching to try this place literally since it opened.

It was a lot more upscale than i anticipated, but I should have known that on account of it being smack dab in the middle of downtown Livermore. They had a band playing rock classics, bluegrass style. It was packed, but it was also a fundraiser night for some cancer charity or something.

The whiskey selection was huge. I ordered an Old Fashion with Maker's Mark 46. It was served in a glass jar, and it was good.

I ordered a combo with burnt ends and sliced brisket, with bbq beans and sour apple coleslaw as sides. The beans were good, the slaw was more tangy than creamy. It was fine, but I prefer either more sharp vinegar or classic creaminess. Personal preference. The BBQ itself was California good. That means if you're from California, you'd think it was great. I found it hilarious that they put a disclaimer in the menu about the smoke ring on the meat (from the smoking process). Compared to Kansas City bbq, it was average. Enjoyable, but it wasn't twice as good as Dickie's BBQ, which cost half as much.

Their sauces were good. I especially liked their spicy sauce. Unlike most places, it was actually spicy. I applaud that.

Go there for the atmosphere and the drink menu and the experience, you'll enjoy the food. If you just want california good bbq, you may as well go to Dickie's (which I do love).

My dinner company at Sauced was quality, too.

Clever name, though, right?

a weather review
California rain


it rained today. In California. we're supposed to complain about this, because it's only supposed to happen when it doesn't get me wet. But I am excited that things will finally start turning green soon.

No comments: