Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Mi C2C Race Report, Part 5


Stage 3: Marrion to the Dublin General Store (61.1 miles)
Let everyone know, okay?



                At the start, I marked Stage 3 as the hardest of the course. It was the longest of the four stages, but it also had the most climbing and saw us enter Manistee National Forest where we would encounter frequent forest roads, snow mobile trails and a few sections of sand. If that wasn’t enough, I would be crossing into new territory; the longest ride I’d ever done was 125 miles a few weeks prior, and I would pass that a third of the way into this sixty-mile stage. All of that was before I crashed into an earlier-than-expected wall.
                But I had a plan. I was in a bad place, I knew, and a little later than I hoped arriving, but I talked through everything with Sarah while I sat down and drank my coke. I tried to eat a piece of pizza, but my stomach wasn’t cooperating. I set about my business, doing everything that needed doing. I knew once I got out on the stage, I would probably make it to the end and I could re-assess. At least then, if I quit, 165 miles was less embarrassing than 105.
                About 3:45, I donned my helmet and climbed back on my back on my bike. I kissed my wife.
                “Are you eating enough?” she asked.
                “Probably not,” I admitted, “but it’s got to be enough now. Stage 2 was really rough for me, and this next one might be even harder. Let everyone know?”
                I knew she was updating well over a dozen people, friends and family who were keeping track of my ride, and I knew that they were praying for me. I was going to need it. She nodded, and I started pedaling away. That half-hour went by so fast, but I couldn’t wait any longer.

Interlude--#1 Support Crew

                It’s foolish to think that I was the only one working at this event. When I talked about signing up for it, I knew that I would need the full support of my wife to pull it off, and she never hesitated. She wanted to support me if it was something I wanted to accomplish.
                Not only did she support me, but she offered to be my support crew. As a self-supported race, we needed to provide our own crew to meet up with us at the checkpoints and, most importantly, be able to rescue us if we had to quit the race in the middle of a stage. I couldn’t carry 210 miles worth of gear, so I needed someone to be there at each checkpoint to resupply.
                It was a long day for her. She was awake to see me off at the start line and be ready whenever I rolled into the finish line to pick me up. In between, she would drive an hour or so and wait while it took me four or more hours to cover the same distance. She would only see me for a delirious half-hour, help me get what I needed, and send me off. Thanks to my Lezyne GPS, she could track my progress during the ride and find out where I was, but she had no way of knowing how I was doing or what I was thinking.
                In the end, she spent most of the day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the car, shuttling between gas stations, school checkpoints, and motels. She sacrificed her entire weekend and plenty of hours of sleep so that I could try to accomplish something ridiculous, and there’s no way I could’ve done it without her. Thank you, Sarah!

Stage 3: Redux
I’m going to beat this thing!

                The first mile or so after the checkpoint was pavement—sweet, sweet pavement—before turning back onto the grit I had come to know so well. I remember thinking during that short section, “If this turns bad fast, I can always turn around and be back at the checkpoint for Sarah to pick me up quickly.”
                In the time that it took me to ride those first few miles of the course’s “back nine,” something else was happening hundreds of miles away that would change the entire direction of the race for me. An intervention of sorts was under way.
                As I mentioned, Sarah was in contact with over a dozen people, updating them on my status at the checkpoints. After I left checkpoint 2, the word went out that I was struggling and needed prayers. My friends and family responded. I know that everyone in the loop prayed for me, but these are the two specific incidents I know: a couple from my small group at church texted that they were praying (I didn’t see the texts until much later, after the race, but they went out in real time), and my family—my parents, brother, sister, and their families—immediately stopped while enjoying an afternoon at the zoo, formed a circle and prayed for me.
                Something amazing began to happen. I don’t know what you think of Christianity or prayer, but I know them to be true. What I also know is that at the same time everyone was praying for me (unbeknownst to me) a change occurred. The pain in my knee dulled. The headache brewing in the back of my head vanished. The mild nausea in my stomach cleared. The heaviness in my legs was lifted.
                I was not oblivious to these changes; in fact, I noticed them immediately. I wished I had brought a piece of pizza, because even though I hadn’t been able to stomach one ten minutes earlier, I knew I could eat one with gusto right then. With all of this, I picked up my pace and my spirits began to rise.
                Additionally, we were entering the hilly section of the course, but my legs felt strong. These weren’t long grinding hills, but short punchy climbs that favored power over steady efficiency. That was alright with me.
One of the accidental changes at checkpoint 2 had been in my snack storage. My pack by my handlebars had been crammed with most of my snacks before, and it was difficult to get them out. At the checkpoint Sarah had filled my ziplock of Goldfish crackers too full, and so it was the only thing that fit in the pack. I stuffed the other two snacks—beef jerky and Swedish Fish gummy candies—into side pockets on my frame bag where I could still reach them. Because of this, all three were easily accessible to me as I was riding, and I could snack at will on any of them without having to stop riding. I took advantage of this, and kept eating a steady supply of salt and sugar.
                Before too many miles, I noticed two riders in the distance ahead of me, and then I realized that I was gaining on them. Slowly but surely I began to real them in. “Don’t waste energy trying to catch them sooner, you’re already gaining on them,” I thought, and continued at my own pace. Finally, I came down the backside of a short hill onto a straight, flat section. It was my chance, I was strong, and I picked up the pace and caught up to them.
                “I’ve been chasing you guys for miles,” I said as I came up on them.
                “Good work, and now you’ll be in front of us because we’re stopping for a break,” one of them responded as they pulled over to the side of the road. I was glad to have caught up to them before they took they break, because the psychological advantage of knowing I had caught them legitimately was a boost. Take every advantage you can get.
                I kept going. So did the hills, but that didn’t bother me. I knew once I got to mile 135 or 140, the course would turn downhill, quickly at first and then gradually for the rest of the course. I was hardly a few minutes past the couple when it happened again. I noticed up ahead three more riders, slowly working their way up a hill. And I noticed before too long that I was slowly catching them.
                That was the moment. I remember it clearly; I felt strong, refreshed, and ready to tackle the rest of the race.
                “I’m going to beat this thing,” I thought. “I’m going to finish this bitch.”
                For the first time in over fifty miles and several hours, I actually believed it.
                My GPS, connected to my phone via Bluetooth, forwarded three text messages to me during the race. One was from my friend Jesse, received during stage 2 near the lowest portion of the race. It read, “Are you finished yet?” and thankfully I was well aware of Jesse’s sarcasm. Soon after, his wife Melissa (a blogger and Liv Bicycles ambassador also known as Chasqui Mom) sent, “Good luck today!!! Just keep pedaling.” But my favorite came from my wife about this time. It said, playing off the famous Jens Voigt (a popular professional cyclists) quote, “Shut up legs and do what Nate tells you!” I literally laughed when I saw it. It was wonderful.
                I caught up to the three riders on one of the longer hills after a couple of miles. Two of them were clearly struggling, and the third was patiently—or not so patiently—going ahead and waiting for them. I pedaled alongside them for a moment, nodded, and accelerated up the hill right on past them.
                The third rider, clearly ready to go a little bit faster than the other two, caught up with me and we rode together for a few miles. We talked a little bit; he complained about his two companions bonking with so much further to go, and I explained that this was the furthest I’d ever ridden. It was during that time riding with him that I crossed past mile 125. My previous longest ride to date, as mentioned earlier, had been a 125-mile training ride. I was in new territory.
                “This is your first 200 mile ride,” he asked.
                “Yeah. The longest I’ve ever done before this was 125.”
                “Welcome to the club. We’re an odd and crazy club.”
                “That’s what my wife keeps telling me.”
                The two of us stopped at the top of a hill for a snack break, and took a few minutes to rest. It wasn’t too long before his two companions caught up, and they rode right on through without stopping. He got on his bike to ride off along with them, checking to make sure I was okay before continuing. I told him I was good, and waved him on. I was on schedule, felt good, and still needed to fill my water bottle. Besides, I caught them before and I knew I would do it again.
                A few miles down the road, I did, and this time when I passed them I never saw them again.
                Let’s take a moment to consider this. Here I was, at over 130 miles, further than I’d ever gone in the past. Twenty-five miles back, I felt terrible, and fifty back I declared my intention to quit. Now I was riding along the hilliest section of the course and felt just as strong—if not stronger—than I did one hundred miles earlier. And for the first time since the initial placement sorting during the opening stages, I was passing people.
                I passed two more people as the hills continued, and then two more after turning down the backside. That backside, that was fun. There were two long downhill stretches after the course reached its zenith. They were good, firm dirt roads with long gradual turns and the occasional rise to scrub excess speed.
                That was where the race hit Manistee National Forest, away from the dirt and gravel roads and began to trek through paths designed largely for snow mobiles and 4x4s. As I turned onto the first of these paths, I almost immediately came upon a minivan clearly out of its league, figuring out how to turn around on a road barely wide enough to begin with. I called out to make sure they knew I was there, and passed them, diving deeper into the woods, flooded with green and accented by the late afternoon sun.
                The path was fine, at first. Occasionally I would run into a patch of sand that caused one or both wheels to slip while I desperately balanced to keep from falling over, but I always managed to keep upright or at least put a foot down before taking a tumble.
                The race directors had promised some sections of sand at this point, so I wasn’t surprised. They promised, however, that it was only short sections and if you had 40mm tires or wider you should be fine. My tires were, in fact, exactly 40mm, though not because of their recommendation; that’s just what I run on that bike. Sand was not something I’d done much riding through during my training. None, in fact, and I have very little experience with it otherwise.
                The winding single-track forest roads slowed my pace a little by themselves, but the sandy patches slowed it down a lot. To my great dismay, the began to grow in frequency. At least every quarter of a mile or so, I would run into a sandy patch. Half of the time I could pedal through it at a snail’s pace, slipping and skidding, but the other half I was forced to get off my bike and hike it through the sand. One patch was so deep and loose that my front tire sank in and jarred my bike to an immediate stop before I even knew the sand was there. Luckily, I put a foot down before I tumbled over the handlebars.
                I came upon two other riders during this section who were having navigational difficulties. Because my GPS was working perfectly, they rode with me for a little while before pulling off ahead of me. They clearly had more skill handling their bikes over the sandy terrain than I did.
                My pace slowed to a crawl over the last ten miles of the stage, and I fell behind schedule.  The sun was dropping towards the horizon faster than I hoped, but I rode on hoping to reach the third checkpoint before sunset.
                My frustration with the course was growing, and I cursed the fact that I didn’t have a fat tire bike. Mostly, I felt misled by the race directors and their promise that there were only “one or two sections you may have to walk your bike through, and the rain from the night before should pack it down nice and hard.” I was walking my bike for one or two sections every mile. Apparently, the cumulative effect of nearly two hundred bikes in one day had shredded these sandy trails, and in the back of that pack I was paying the price.
                My spirits, thankfully, did not diminish. I was still ahead of the cutoff by a safe margin, and I wasn’t giving up any time. In fact, though it wasn’t much, I had gained back a little time. I also knew that my struggles here were not due to my own failings, but rather the nature of the course.
                Finally, I pulled out of the forest and onto pavement. The checkpoint was just around the corner, and I would pull in just before sunset. My spirits were high; even though I was behind schedule and knew I would have to finish the race in the dark, I was prepared for that. I couldn’t stop now.

Checkpoint 3 Split time: 6:16:00
Checkpoint 3 Total Time: 15:19:31



No comments: