Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Remember, Remember, the First of November...

I don't think that's how it goes! But i should say, if you are not otherwise disposed, you might want to watch V for Vendetta on November 5 (or, if you're a comic book snob, you could [re-]read the original comic). Because Guy Fawkes may or may not have been the man. That's for you to decide.

Also, if you're planning to switch banks, that's sort of useless. I used to work for a bank. they're all evil. Don't get me started. I have an entire anti-bank rant, but I'll save that for a day that's other than this one. But in the meantime, faults or not, i will continue to keep my accounts with megabank Chase. They seem to have something of mine that would be very difficult to conduct commerce in the US of A without. Money. Mine. Which they have.

It's been weighing on my mind a lot lately that I've completely slacked. I mean, I wrote a few words last last Monday, but that was like a decade ago. Relatively. I mean, if you were moving at relativistic speeds, it may have been an actual decade for me and a few days for you. Which, I suppose, any speed is a relativistic speed, the question is whether or not the distortion is perceptible.

And, for your viewing pleasure, a discoball with a fedora:
I'm not going to bore you down with the details of things I've done since we last spoke (or since you last listened to me spoke), but I will talk briefly of running (which I do a lot, I suppose).

Some days you go running, and it sucks. And then you finish, and it sucks even more because you realise your pace was slower than normal and it still sucked. But then there are days, like last Thursday when i was running at the gym, when you seem to glide over the ground and you're done and it's this big sort of surprise because you keep waiting for that part of it that sucks, the part which doesn't show up. Love those days. My current goal is a sub-24 minute 5k, a perfectly reasonable goal, and I'm pretty sure i'll be there soon enough.

Also, weighed in at the gym at 196 lbs. Ladies and Germs, that's the lightest I've been since high school. This is not news to those of you who read my facebook. i was really excited. I still am. I'm also paranoid that when I go back next time it will go up. Without adding any further muscle weight, i think i've still got another 10-ish pounds of which i want to get rid.

So I guess NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer's Month) started today. I'm not participating. Not that I have anything against it, I just know that i would not complete the goal. Fall behind a little bit would be just the excuse i needed to quit. I can't do that, I've slowed down too much as it is.

That being said, I wrote a little bit tonight. i've lost the romance. I guess the novel-writing honeymoon period is over. right now it's sort of that time where you're not really sure you want to do it anymore but you kinda have to or just quit and since you can't right quit yet you sludge through it because you have to figure a little drugery will pay off when you get excited about it again. I hope I didn't waste all my excitement in the months planning before i actually started writing. I'd imagine if I start reading an excellent novel, it will inspire me further.

So, that being said, this is my to-read list (in no particular order):

If you can't see, that's:
In the Garden of Beasts; Unbroken; The Perfect Mile; Trouble is My Business; Bel Canto; Hondo; Tarzan of the Apes; The Goodbye Loook; From the Prairies to Peru--and Beyond; Black Dahlia; Double Indemnity; The Ivory Grin; Middlesex; Blue Monday; Good Morning Blues; 2666

Not included are the 4 books scattered in my life I'm currently (re)reading:
The Drowning Pool; Born to Run; Goin' to Kansas City; The Savage Detectives

Slightly overwhelming, to say the least. How do i get myself into this sort of thing?

So, with all of that, I'll leave you on All Saints Day with this one last bit...

Music of the Day
See you tomorrow? That's the idea. We'll see.

2 comments:

nickoconnordrums said...

Next time for our viewing pleasure can we see that chick in the corner with the bikini ahahahahaha (;

stephanie said...

I loved Bel Canto! Highly recommend it.