Monday, October 24, 2011

The Best Part About Mondays: they only happen Once a Week!

I feel like I'm apologizing more about not writing posts than actually writing posts these days. Life gets busy--you all know what that's like--and you make decisions, which may or may not be good ones. Sometimes the decisions you make are to take the free tickets to the Foo Fighters concert in Oakland and run with it. There's very few times in my life I would consider that a bad decision.

Funny thing is, I've had more concert tickets than albums for the Foo Fighters (3 vs 2). That's not a knock on their albums--I've always been a fan. Dave Grohl is a great songwriter. Great musician. Really catchy songs, and that means a lot in my book (not my actual book, the one i'm writing, but my metaphorical one, the one about me, that biography written in a car, or something). But for all that he is on tape, he's all that, a bag of chips, and a snickerdoodle live. By far one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Like Garth Brooks good. He knows how to work a crowd. He always goes out and gives 100%. It's almost like he's having fun! go figure! And when he's having fun, he doesn't see any reason to stop. 3 hours later...hoo. Also, any concert that involves dueling guitar solos is all right in my book (that's the same book we already talked about).

What else have I done since we last talked:
  • Gym (less sore than last time. Excellent.)
  • Krav Maga
  • 6.5 mile run. It's not supposed to be in the 80's, hot and sunny in late october! Also, alternate route taken home included a lot more hills than expected.
  • Caught up on Eureka. Good thing too: I hardly have enough time to watch all the shows I want now, and the Walking Dead just came back on...
  • Got lost in ridiculous bumper-to-bumper traffic in Oakland...on a saturday afternoon
  • Got pulled over by a cop; apparently i have a tail light out. Ticket. Suck.
  • Played two church services deep in the hood of Oakland for the 54th anniversary of the American Indian Baptist Church of Oakland (one service--saturday--was all bad; the other--sunday--all good)
  • Managed to not get shot wearing my bright red Chiefs jersey deep in the heart (hood) of the Raider Nation ("...beyond doubt the sleaziest and rudest and most sinister mob of thugs and wackos ever assembled..." not my quote) on gameday. You laugh, because this is sort of a joke. But it sort of isn't. Ok, kinda really isn't. Across the street was a candlelight memorial for someone who wasn't as lucky as I was the other day.
  • Enjoyed one of the best 3 1/2 hours of football in a long time (Go Chiefs!)
  • Researched recipes on how to prepare crow. Not for me. For thee of little faith.
  • Interior decoration
  • one book (The Perfect Mile) from Half Price books, and two (Unbroken and In The Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin) from Amazon
  • three cds (Jazz of the 20's Greatest Hits, Louis Armstrong Greatest hits, and Swinging the Blues 1930-1939 from Count Basie) from Half Price Books.
  • and, finally, today, decided to write a few words in my novel. This chapter isn't hard, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself. I've lost momentum, and I've gotta get back go writing regularly
Music of the Day:
Joke of the Day:
  • A woman had two sons. One ran away to join the circus; the other became vice president. Neither was heard from again.
That's all i've got. Don't knock it. Something>nothing

3 comments:

e.kinnear said...

We're feeling that way about TV too. With the live cards games taking up all our regular "catch up on the DVR" time, we're BEYOND behind on all other television. NO NEW SHOWS.

Brad said...

I have the season premeire of The Walking Dead on the DVR... just waiting for an appropriately spooky late night. The Perfect Mile is good stuff! There was a movie made too but the movie was horribly boring.

nate are said...

I DVR'd it and just watched it sunday night...pretty intense beginning 20 minutes, and a great twist at the end of the episode. It's hard to catch me by surprise on TV, but they did.

I've given up watching most shows in realtime.