Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Molasses

Slowest. Chapter. E v e r .

I crawled through a couple of paragraphs tonight, at least. ugh. I feel like i've got to work out another page and a half or two before I can move on to the next part. This singer's tale is proving to be harder to detail out than I expected. I think i'm going to end up short arming a lot of it, and coming back later on the rewrite to expand and improve it. might take two or three.

I finally made it back to Krav Maga tonight. it's been near a month since I went to class, what with business trips, colds, and half marathons interrupting life. Felt good, worked up a good sweat, punched the heavy bag a lot (and got whacked in the nose by a pretty asian girl). We did choke from the front with push; i've done it several times before but my technique was way rusty. On the other hand, it has been established that I kick like a mule. That is to say, I kick hard. Mule hard.

I'm still trying to figure out what my new workout routines are going to look like. I'm thinking about making my way back to the gym to add weights into the mix again. Then again, I'm also thinking about taking a few months to concentrate on the 5-10k distance running. Work on getting my speed up for those shorter distances. i went out for my first post-race run last saturday (i ended up taking longer off than i expected. I felt like enjoying a long rest week, and I decided not to feel guilty about it), and I ran a fast 2 miles. Well, fast for me at 8 minute miles. I started off too fast, and burned out after the first mile. I soldiered on through the next mile, well at least until I enhaled a bug and the coughing and gagging commenced.

Of course, the Kaiser Half in San Francisco is in early February again, and the 3 month training cycle would start up again in November if I wanna do that again. Coming off of San jose, I could slide right back into the training cycle and really get a lot of miles in. whenever my next half is, I'm gonna have to knock 8 more minutes off of my time to reach my 2 hour goal. Part of me wants to take that post-race high (it's easy to enjoy a half marathon after all the hard work of running it is actually finished).

I don't understand why I enjoy running, have I mentioned that? Because I certainly don't feel like i actually enjoy it. mostly it's something I do and then feel good about finishing. Truth, crossing that finish line is one of the most satisfying and accomplishing things I've ever experienced in my life. But the race itself isn't an overly profound experience. I mean it has it's moments, but they don't feel like they'd be enough to carry the experience. I mean, apparently i'm wrong because Chris and I are already looking for the next race to run.

Maybe it's purely chemical. Some sort of adrenaline or endorphin addiction. I'm voting against the adrenaline theory, at least for me. I mean, i jumped out of an airplane once and that's a pretty intense adrenaline rush. I enjoyed it just fine, and I could probably be talked into doing it again, but I'd be just as happy in my life if I never did it again.

I guess if you pushed me, I'd say, for me, it's the thrill, accomplishment of actually finishing something. I've spent so much of my life starting things and wanting to start things and never following through; but this is something I've found that I can start and finish.

Anyways, on to other subjects. Liz, I took up your challenge for the quinoa & zucchini soup. I put together a recipe yesterday, but I'm not satisfied with the outcome. It wasn't bad--it was just pretty bland. So I'm going back to the drawing board for try number two. As soon as I've got something good, I'll be sure to post the recipe and results up here!

Also, I would love more challenges. Looking for 1-3 ingredients to use to fashion a soup recipe from scratch.

I started experimenting with the webcam on my laptop. it is entirely possible that I will put up a video post sometime soon.

Is it time for randomness today? Well, then, let's get to it!

Catching up on...
  • wrote in the novel. Only a little bit, but if I didn't have quantity, I feel like the quality was okay
  • back to ASD
  • other stuff, which probably wasn't interesting enough to list
Vintage Vixen Bombshell of the Day...
Album of the Day (aka Album I Listened to While Writing Tonight)
The "Yup, He Just Did That" Catch of the Weekend (or your "I'm Happy the Chiefs Won Again" moment)
Picture of the Day...
  • Jean Harlow

1 comment:

e.kinnear said...

We just got a webcam too. Let's Skype!!! Can't wait to see about the soup.