Monday, September 26, 2011

One Leaky Steam Engine

I'll admit, it's hard to sit down and write on this novel right now. I'm workin on the Singer's Tale, which is the hardest one for me to write. I have the general outline, what I need to accomplish with each chapter, but the fine details are still up for grabs. I just need to soldier through it until I can get back to the Detective's Story. That's the one I know the best, know right where to point and run. I've gotta finish this chapter first, and that's another 4 vague pages away.

My original goal was 5 days a week, 30-60 minutes a day. I'm going to amend that to 4 days; weekends just aren't going to happen. As an introvert, i need that time for myself, and I've just been so busy lately I haven't really been able to get enough.

There is much to catch up on then, since i haven't seen you since last thursday night. Since then I have...Okay, I am willing to admit that I may or may not have fabricated one of those. If I say it with enough aplomb, maybe you'll believe me!

In preparation for my half marathon next week, I went out on a 10 mile run last saturday (which would make it the 2nd longest individual run I've ever done). I was a little bit worried about the race since I hadn't trained as much as i did last time (or as much as I wanted). I figured a 10 miler would be a good yardstick to measure with...close enough to the full 13 to get a good reading on what I could expect.

I rocked it. When I started training for this half, my goal was to run it in 2 hours, which would be more than a 20 minute improvement over my last one. Due to my reduced training, I was ready to reduce that expectation as well, move it to 2:10 or so...and then i ran the 10. Which I ran on pace to finish a full 13 right at 2 hours. And afterwards, I felt great. I still had gas left in the tank. I was definitely confident that I could've pulled out 3 more miles. My feet were a little sore afterwards, and my achilles were tight, but it was minor and not unusual occurrences after longer-than-normal runs for me. By this morning (Monday), they were completely fine.

I may have been training less, but I think I started this whole deal with a much higher fitness level. Also, I may have ran less, but I added Krav Maga to my workout routine, and I think that helped me more than i expected it would.

So, I am no longer in minor panic mode regarding the race next week. At 8am, PST, I will set off through the streets and sounds of San Jose. Soon after 10am, PST, I expect to update you all (via facebook), about my success. Look for it!

Ok. It's possible--possible--that I may or may not have made up two of those items. But let's not pick nits.

What I have done today, at least those parts I wish to share with you:
  • 2 miles running. Less than a week 'till the race, we are in rest/recovery mode.
  • wrote on chapter 4, The Singer's Tale. only 329 Open Office words, but dont' expect much fast with this chapter. Tempered expectations. I'm not goign to beat myself up for slow pace writing (although slow pacing in the plot deserves a good ol' fashion beating)
  • drank 2 good mugs of coffee
  • played guitar
  • downloaded the final Fallout: New Vegas expansion, The Lonesome Road
The songs that were playing, either in my head or on my speakers, while some of these were completed:
Things for the day which proceeds the day i am currently writing this:
  • Continue writing some, any, words for Chapter 4
  • Bible study! it's been 4 weeks since i've been at bible study!
  • Madden 12, Fallout: New Vegas, or some combination of events that allows for both of them
This Item Exists for the Sole Purpose of Justifying the Addition of a Picture of Pretty Girls
  • The one part of the Kansas City Chiefs season that's been worth watching so far

3 comments:

e.kinnear said...

Yay! Glad the 10er went well. We'll be in Stockton Sunday morning so we can't check FB but we'll call on our drive back to the Lou. Hope it goes well. GOOD LUCK!

Nancy said...

I have picked nits before and I hope to never have to do it again.I think everyone would agree unless they have a quirky sense of fun. On another note, best wishes on Sunday!

Brad said...

Sounds like you're in good shape for Sunday. Get plenty of rest this week. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
It's fun following along with your book progress as well.
So you didn't really see a rare bird? Bummer. Tell Erica hello.